Stanford Jazz Workshop, a leading music education and performing
arts organization, seeks a new Development Director. Reporting to
the Executive Director, and collaborating with SJW’s
Founder/Artistic Director and Board of Directors, the Development
Director creates and implements the organization’s fundraising
strategy. As the principal contact for members of the
organization’s donor community, the Director must be adept at
stewarding relationships with existing donors, and be able to
cultivate support from prospects, including individuals, foundation
and corporate partners, and government sources. Approximately half
of annual contributed revenue comes from individual contributions,
half from institutional sources.
Our core programs include four weeks of summer jazz education
camps, held on the Stanford University campus. Year-around programs
are also conducted around the Bay Area for middle and high school
students. For approximately 11 months of the year, the SJW office
is located in San Francisco, in the Inner Sunset neighborhood. From
roughly early July through early August, the office location is
moved and all work is performed on the Stanford University campus
in Palo Alto.
The Development Director is responsible for forecasting and
achieving SJW’s defined contributed revenue objectives by
developing and implementing a fundraising strategy that achieves
near-term goals while also establishing and pursuing strategic
- Annually create and implement a fundraising plan, with a goal
of developing effective methods and strategies to increase SJW’s
overall fundraising effectiveness
- Support the involvement of SJW’s Board as active partners in
the fundraising process, and provide leadership for the Board’s
- Create effective donor and prospect communication strategy,
calendar, and content.
- Manage VIP ticket purchases and seating at Stanford Jazz
- Cultivate relationships with, solicit, and steward Inner Circle
- Secure and manage annual concert sponsorships by individual
- Coordinate and host donor visits at concerts and education
- Plan and execute donor events, including in-home salons and
- Plan and executive major fundraising events as determined in
collaboration with other senior staff and Board members to ensure
that event goals are clearly defined and achieved.
- Ensure that contributions and donor data are properly
maintained in the organization’s donor database, including monthly
reconciliation of contributions with the Controller.
- Ensure that gifts are acknowledged and documented in a prompt
and appropriate manner, and regularly report to the Executive
Director on progress toward fundraising goals.
- Research and identify new prospects in coordination with the
Executive Director, SJW Board members, and friends of SJW.
Institutional Funders (Foundation, Corporate, and
- Research, write, submit, and document effective letters of
inquiry, grant proposals, and corresponding grant reports.
- Maintain and manage a detailed calendar of preparation and
deadline submission dates for foundation grants and reports,
government agency grants, and other gift prospects.
- As may be required or appropriate, serve in liaison capacity to
SJW’s foundation and corporate partners, and to government agencies
with which SJW has or wishes to develop productive relationships;
and, host visits of representatives from partners to introduce and
reinforce SJW’s approach to jazz education and performance.
- Ensure that SJW’s donor database is promptly updated,
effectively maintained, and archived with accurate and detailed
donor records and histories.
- Oversee monthly reconciliation of contributions and donor
records with SJW’s Controller to ensure that grants and gifts are
properly coded and in agreement with the general ledger.
- Collaborate with SJW’s Marketing Director to ensure accurate
and donor recognition and acknowledgment in print and online.
- Ensure that high quality supplemental grant materials, such as
thank you letters from scholarship recipients, letters of support,
Guidestar and Data Arts Project profiles are current and
coordinated within the department.
- Ensure that development-related areas of SJW’s websites and
social media platforms are current, accurate, and well
- Participate as may be requested or required when “all hands on
deck” are needed to support SJW events, including summer
registration, performances, and other all- organization
- Other duties as assigned.
- Five-plus years of experience as a Development Director with
deep knowledge of and experience in increasing organizational
- Direct experience with member-based individual giving programs,
grant writing, and corporate sponsorship required.
- Experience with performing arts production and/or music
- Excellent verbal, written, and public presentation skills.
- Experience in working effectively with donor software and using
database applications to support donor management and related
functions (SJW utilizes Bloomerang plus proprietary FileMaker-based
- Experience in planning and producing effective donor-related
events, such as house parties and post-concert receptions.
- Facility in developing, managing, and interpreting budgets and
development-related financial, analytical, and other data-driven
- Deep knowledge of best practices of fundraising, including
handling of restricted gifts, conditions for temporarily
restricting and releasing from restriction gifts per donor terms,
standards and guidelines for related to tax-deductibility,
procedures for receiving and processing gifts of stock, and
additional knowledge of fundraising practices with which senior
fundraising professionals are generally familiar.
- Experience in serving as a key external representative, and
ability to communicate effectively and comfortably with a variety
of groups and individuals, including individual donors, foundation
officers, artists, parents, and program participants.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds.
- Current, valid CA driver’s license, and ability to drive a car
We offer a competitive salary based on qualifications, excellent
benefits, and a casual and dynamic office workplace.
Location/Region: San Francisco, CA (94122)