Fitter / Welder “A”
Specifications & Requirements
Location: West Jordan, Utah; Las Vegas, Nevada; Phoenix, Arizona; Pocatello, Idaho.
Category: Shop fabrication and production
Education: High School; GED; technical structural
Salary: Open – See Pay Scale
Experience: Education + 5 years structural welding
Position Type: Full Time, Non-exempt
Skills: Steel Fabrication, Welding, Lay-out, Blueprint, Rigging w/I shop, Material handling, Visual Quality.
Job Description – Fitter / Welder “A”
JOB SUMMARY: Lay out, fit, and fabricate metal components to assemble structural forms, such as building members, columns, joists, frames, stairs, railings and other parts, using knowledge of welding techniques, metallurgy, and engineering requirements. Includes welders who analyze engineering drawings and specifications to plan welding operations where procedural information is unavailable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Lays out, positions, and secures parts and assemblies according to specifications, using appropriate tools and measuring devices.
- Analyzes engineering drawings and specifications to plan layout, assembly, and welding operations.
- Tack-welds or welds components and assemblies, using electric, gas, arc, or other welding equipment. Is certified with both stick and wire in vertical position.
- Cuts work piece, using powered saws, hand shears, or chipping knife.
- Observes tests on welded surfaces, such as hydrostatic, x-ray, and dimension tolerance to evaluate weld quality and conformance to specifications.
- Inspects grooves, angles, or gap allowances, using micrometer, caliper, and precision measuring instruments.
- Removes rough spots from work piece, using portable grinder, hand file, or scraper.
- Welds components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Heats, forms, and dresses metal parts, using hand tools, torch, or arc welding equipment.
- Ignites torch and adjusts valves, amperage, or voltage to obtain desired flame or arc.
- Develops templates and other work aids to hold and align parts.
- Determines required equipment and welding method, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry, and welding techniques.
- Moves structural elements by hand and machine through the use of chain rigging, overhead/jib crane, material conveyor, or transfer stations and other material handling equipment.
- Inspects equipment, structural components, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
- Accurately straightens and cambers with heat.
- Other duties that may be assigned.
- Must meet all requirements for a Fitter / Welder “B”, plus the following:
- Prefer High School diploma, GED or equivalent and at least 5 years work experience.
- Able to straighten and camber with heat.
- Must be certified in the vertical position with both stick and wire.
- Must have a thorough understanding of welding parameters, procedures, and weld machine set-up and operation.
- Must be able to both fit and weld the most complex assemblies.
- Must have a working knowledge of codes and fundamental requirements of those codes.
- Must be able to work with minimal Supervision.
- Must maintain a low error / rejection rate.
- Must be able to assist others in similar work.
- This job description reflects the current assignment of essential functions and is not meant to be all-inclusive.
- Duties and responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time and may be modified to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability or for other reasons
Location/Region: West Jordan, UT (84081)